• Mappa borghi e castelli

Top Panel


Pilastri Aqueduct

Villages and Castles
Città d'Ischia
Città d'Ischia - 80077
Via Michele Mazzella

Pilastri Aqueduct
The Pilastri aqueduct was built in the sixteenth century, to remedy the shortage of water of the then Village of Celsa, now Ischia Ponte. About 550 meters long, it connects the Spalatriello, along the plain of the Rio Corbore, lookout hill that leads to Sant'Antuono. In 1580 the inhabitants of the Village of Celsa live the daily drama of a fair shortage of water. Main cause of the general heat is the final disappearance, after decades of bradeyism, the source of fresh water Ninfario that emerged at the Tower of Guevara (or Michelangelo). The complaints of the inhabitants of the Village of Celsa did not take long to reach the palace of the viceroy, Cardinal Antonio Granvela Perrenot, who did not remain indifferent to the pleas of Ischian people, promptly decided to send to the island knight Orazio Tuttavilla, a Spanish expert in water systems
as "governor". Orazio Tuttavilla landed at Ischia in 1580 and took on the Buceto hill, accompanied by Calabrian doctor Giulio Jasolino. At an altitude of 400 meters was found a spring of fresh water, pure water, which flowed in the valleys of losing pool Fiaiano along a much steeper and therefore very favorable to build a plant in freefall, the only one knew at that time.
The works began in 1581 with the digging 14 km deep, descent and tubes of cast iron sealed in lead. The workers yield before the fact that in front of them the plain of Rio Carbore and the climb of Sant’Antuono appeared. The rivulet of water, abundant in winter, but poor in summer, would not have pass the limits to across ground. The heavy cost were already over. These facts changed the Don Orazio’s projet, in orde to stop it.
The turning point will be in 1673, when the bishop entered the diocese Girolamo Rocca. “Scientist” plumber began an important plan coping the building of Roman aqueducts realized avove bridges and arches, except retaining walls. The bishop Rocca ‘blessed’ the plan by dukes arrived on the occasion of the building and soon called authorities.
A spring morning in 1685 the valiant bishop Girolamo Rocca, blessed the wonderful jet of the water of Buceto which flood the marble fountain, decorated with 4 dophins, adjoining the church of Collegiata.
Weighed on a slab of the fountain: these are waters deriving from food, thirst, as good master, learned to sustain hunger.

Info

Address: Via Michele Mazzella
City: 80077 - Ischia
Bus lines: C12 - C13 - C15

Info request

In the neighbourhood

Facilities



Magazine Ischia news & eventi

copertina ottobre

October, desire of rebirth

Guides of Ischia.it

Le Guide di Ischia newsTo know and move on Ischia

Contact ischia.it

  • Indirizzo P.zza Trieste e Trento, 9
  • Telefono +(39) 0813334747
  • fax +(39) 0813334715
  • email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Sito web www.ischia.it
  • skypeCall center

Info on Ischia island

  • Surface: 46 Kmq
  • Hight: 789 mt
  • Lat.: 40° 44',82 N
  • Long.: 13° 56',58 E
  • Periplus: 18 miglia
  • Coasts: 51.2 Km
  • Cities: 6
  • Inhabitants: 58.029

Social

Sottoscrizione al feed

Subscribe to our Newsletter